Date: 1/4/18 8:27 am
From: Sandra Belth <belthbirds...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] McCormick's Creek CBC Results
McCormick’s Creek CBC December 30, 2017

We had a bitterly cold day for the 29th McCormick’s Creek CBC on Saturday
with a high of 18 in the AM and a low of 9 by the end of the day. Since
all still water had long since been frozen and much of slow moving water
was likewise frozen, understandably we had few waterfowl and no
shorebirds. We had 5 teams out in the field with 14 hardy folks bundled up
against the cold and four feeder watch teams.

Highlights include 1 Hooded Merganser, 1 Rough-legged Hawk, 1 Merlin, 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler, and over 121 Lapland Longspurs found along CR 400
East Owen County west of Flatwoods Park. The very large flock of Longspurs
spanned both sides of the road and included numerous Horned Larks. From
pictures taken of a portion of the flock we were able to count 121 with
easily many more. Our total was 60 species for count day, and 1 count week
bird, a Short-eared Owl seen the evening before.

Gr. White-Fronted Goose 40

Canada Goose 186

Mallard 17

Hooded Merganser 1

Wild Turkey 46

Great Blue Heron 2

Turkey Vulture 1

Bald Eagle 5

Northern Harrier 6

Sharp-shinned Hawk 1

Coopers Hawk 5

Red-Shouldered Hawk 13

Red-tailed Hawk 21

*Rough-legged hawk 1*

American Kestrel 5

Merlin 1

Sandhill Crane 29

Killdeer 2

Rock Pigeon 95

Mourning Dove 139

Eastern Screech Owl 2

Great Horned Owl 1

Short-eared Owl CW 1 seen the evening before the count

Belted Kingfisher 3

Red-headed Woodpecker 10

Red-bellied Woodpecker 55

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1

Downy Woodpecker 59

Hairy Woodpecker 7

Northern Flicker 10

Pileated Woodpecker 25

Blue Jay 80

American Crow 362

Horned Lark 42

Carolina Chickadee 95

Tufted Titmouse 132

Red-Breasted Nuthatch 2

White-breasted Nuthatch 76

Brown Creeper 4

Carolina Wren 29

Golden-crowned Kinglet 19

Eastern Bluebird 49

Northern Mockingbird 5

European Starling 278

Yellow-rumped Warbler 2

Eastern Towhee 19

American Tree Sparrow 156

Field Sparrow 4

Fox Sparrow 9

Song Sparrow 134

Swamp Sparrow 2

White-throated Sparrow 51

White-crowned Sparrow 5

Dark-eyed Junco 412

Lapland Longspur 121

Northern Cardinal 351

Eastern Meadowlark 37

Purple Finch 2

House Finch 95

American Goldfinch 127

House Sparrow 87

Sandy Belth
​,​
​ Count Compiler​
Assistant Naturalist
Monroe County Parks and Recreation
501 N. Morton St. Suite 100
Bloomington, IN 47404

Master Gardener
812-360-8715

*Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can
change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.*
– Margaret Mead, American cultural anthropologist

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Join us on Facebook!