Date: 1/4/18 8:20 am
Subject: Additional bird feeding strategies for snowy or extreme weather
In stressful snowy conditions like this, I have heard of people
feeding Bluebirds and Hermit Thrushes raisins soaked in warm water and
berries like blueberries or blackberries. Putting the items on a tray
on the ground seems to work.

Some little birds that will not eat whole sunflower seeds *will* eat
sunflower hearts (shelled sunflower seeds) that are very lightly
chopped in a food processor. Things like Pine Warblers and Chipping
Sparrows. The little wire basket feeders are good dispensers for it,
especially with a little collar made of a plastic water bottle
section.

Chopped pecans are also beloved by a wide range of birds, including
warblers and Hermit Thrushes. Chopped unsalted peanuts as well.

And a friend of mine had a Hermit Thrush with a taste for sweet potato
spend the winter. I know from hunting lore that Wood Ducks are fond
of sweet potato slices...

* People that are feeding Orioles jelly - they also like little chunks
of suet or home-made suet put next to the jelly in your feeder setup.
Not sure about pure peanut butter, but they certainly like lard+peanut
butter+corn meal in a mixture.

And remember to keep those feeding stations clean!

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

Join us on Facebook!