Date: 1/3/18 8:00 pm
From: Charlie Massieon <ccmassieon...>
Subject: ESbirds: Short-eared Owl
Rosanne and Tom Higley, Laura Mogg and I went to Joe Smith Road north of
Laws to look for the Short-eared Owls found by Eric Smith and also reported
by Chris and Rosie Howard. We found them at dusk (Jan 3rd), the first one
about 1/4 miles south of Jean Blanc Road crossing Joe Smith Road. They
appeared about 5pm, and began calling about 10 minutes later. We left at
5:20 when it was too dark to see them, but they were still flying and
calling. We saw at least three individuals. They were mostly between Joe
Smith and US 6, but occasionally crossed to the west. Too dark/far to
photograph, although a Ferruginous Hawk posed for me very nicely earlier in
the evening.

There were also 10 hawks perched on the irrigation sprinklers when we
arrived at 4:30, a mix of red-tailed and ferruginous. Several Northern
Harriers in flight, too.

Charlie Massieon