Date: 1/3/18 7:55 pm
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Harlan's Hawk, south Yamhill County, Northern Shrike
There was a dark morph Harlan's Hawk just north of Salt Creek on
Tucker road today about noon. The striking thing about this individual
was alternate pure white tail feathers-four or more were white, but no
two touching each other, and some pure white primaries--the inner 4
or 5 contiguous primaries on both wings. This gave it a decidedly flashy
appearance. This was the first Harlan's I've seen. We saw the upper tail
quite well. On De Jonge Rd, probably the next n-s road to the west of
Tucker, there is a large wheat-stubble field which had close to a dozen
Rough-leg Hawks above or beside it. The mitigation wetland immediately
north had 15 or more Red-tails perched on the planted trees. This is the
only concentration of Buteos I have seen this winter--perhaps 30 in a 60-
80 acre block.
A Northern Shrike was in the planted trees in the ne corner of the
mitigation wetland, very close to the road. It may well stick around. This
was my first experience on the banks of Salt Creek, running close to the
Polk/Yamhill County line near Ballston, Perrydale, and Amity. A lovely mix
of riparian woods and oaky bluffs much wilder than the cultivated lands
to the north and south. Lars

Join us on Facebook!