Date: 1/3/18 7:38 pm
From: 'Bailey, Steven D' <sdbailey...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET large Trumpeter Swan flock in southern Illinois
A friend of mine in southern Illinois called to inform me that he saw a large wintering flock of 198 TRUMPETER SWANS in the northeast corner of Jackson County near Elkville. They were feeding in a wheat field along Funk Rd. just east of Elkville. Take the Royalton Blacktop east out of Elkville. After crossing the Little Muddy River, turn right (south) onto Funk Rd. Of course, the day before he had only 11 Trumpeters, but they will likely keep returning to this field. This area abuts the very large, new Burning Star State Fish & Wildlife Area that the IDNR recently bought (the old Burning Star #5 Mine). That is where the Trumpeters go to roost. Barn Owls nest in the area.
Joe told me that he has also been seeing up to 3 SHORT-EARED OWLS hunting the ditches along IL. Rt. 154, just north of nearby DuQuoin (Perry Co.), just east of DuQuoin Lake near Paradise Church. Good birding!

Steve Bailey
Mundelein (Lake Co.)
<sdbailey...>

Then my heart turns to Alaska and freedom on the run, I can hear her spirit calling
me to the mountains, I can rest there. To the rivers, I will be strong.
To the forests, I'll find peace there. To the wild country, where I belong.
- John Denver

Join us on Facebook!