Date: 1/3/18 7:33 pm
From: Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr...>
Subject: [COBOL] Two Northern Pygmy Owl - Glaze Meadow - Deschutes County
While on a dog walk late yesterday afternoon, Jill and I heard what we
thought was the distant call of two Northern Pygmy Owl, one on the north
side near the edge of the meadow, the other on the south side but much
farther back in the pines than the first.

We agreed that what we heard warranted a return trip. So today we went back
dressed to sit and listen rather than walk - it was a good decision. We
heard and observed two owls calling and briefly interact in flight once.

Birds of North America (online version) states the earliest breeding
activity of the species was observed in Montana in February and lists
April, May, and June as the most common breeding months.

This was a great sighting for us primarily because it was our first
non-stakeout observation of the species. We love stake-outs, but there is
something special about unexpectedly stumbling upon a good bird or two.

Jack Williamson
West Linn, Oregon