Date: 1/3/18 6:49 pm
From: Dominik Mosur <polskatata...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Miscellanea 1/3/18
This morning at dawn I was at Sutro Baths where some notables included:

Surfbirds - 26
Black Turnstones - 7
Marsh Wren - 1, continuing wintering bird
Common Yellowthroat - 3, a healthy count away from Lake Merced.

The Cinnamon Teal appears to have left and there were no other ducks on the pond. Which reminds me that I neglected to mention that the west GGP team on the Christmas count had just one Ring-necked Duck (North Lake) and 0 Ring-necks on Lloyd where just a few years ago the winter flock often numbered in the 70-100 range.

During a quick stop at the Concrete Bridge/S. lake Merced, (5) Great-tailed Grackles flew out of the tules at the east end of the bridge. Around noon (4) were reported from Westlake shopping center in Daly City by Mr. Calvin Lou. Now we know where they hang out during the day.

During the 8' king tide at pier 94 just past noon the continuing (m,f) pair of Eurasian Wigeons were in the flooded marsh with (110+) American Wigeons.

In the mid afternoon I checked the grove of conifers at the base of Twin Peaks Blvd./Panorama across the street from McAteer High School. Among the chickadees, Ruby-crowned Kinglets and Townsend's Warblers was at least one Golden-crowned Kinglet. I initially heard its high frequency call but pished it into view to get a good look. To this day I still like to get a visual confirmation even though most of the time hearing the call a few times is enough to rule out in my mind a Brown Creeper.

Finally, a second hand report w/Photos from
Matthew Willcox came in today of an apparent 1st cycle Glaucous Gull on Arch Rock, viewable from behind the Cliff House, sometime later this morning.

Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

Sent from my iPhone

http://www.yahoogroups.com/