Date: 1/3/18 6:34 pm
From: Paul Griffin <pgriffin1...>
Subject: Feeder Birds
Hi Folks,

The cold temperatures have forced some different birds to my winter feeders, here in Riverside in Wichita, near downtown where the 2 rivers join up. I earlier reported the Orange-crowned Warbler, which I saw again today. I also have a Ruby-crowned Kinglet coming to the suet and a White-crowned Sparrow eating millet on the ground, similar to the warbler. I have never seen a White-crowned Sparrow in my neighborhood before. Note they all have the word “crowned” in their name. Odd. I also saw, a possible Pine Siskin a couple of days ago and a possible female Lesser Goldfinch. But, no pictures and I haven’t seen them since. Also seen: Cardinals, Chickadees, Junco’s, Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Downy Woodpeckers, Northern Flickers, House Finches, House Sparrows, White-breasted Nuthatches, Carolina Wrens, tons of Starlings, Blue Jays, Pigeons, a few Goldfinches and a single Mourning Dove. There are a lot of Crows in the area, and at least 2 Great Horned Owls in my alley, can be heard hooting at night, it is mating season for them.

Happy Birding,

Paul Griffin, Wichita
https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to