Date: 1/3/18 4:52 pm
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Bird Walk Report
*SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Bird Walk Report*

Barbara and I were joined by 12 other birdwatchers including six (6) JGEMS
students and their teacher Marie for the Salem Audubon bird walk today.
The bird walk lasted over four hours as we covered four miles of trail to
the east of Parking Lot #3. Today we walked all the way to the Peter
Courtney Bridge and back then checked out the slough up to the first
bridge. The group was met with fair skies and cool temperatures with 35
degrees at the start and 45 degrees at the finish. The wind did pick up to
10 M.P.H. late in the walk which made it feel quite cold. A total of 44
species were observed (saw or heard) which was one more than our bird walk
on New Year’s Day.

The highlights were as follows:

· Along the Willamette River we saw two *Western Grebes*, a couple
of *Bufflehead* along with some gulls and a *Pied-billed Grebe*;

· Saw quite a few ducks in the pond just to the left of the trail
near the Peter Courtney Bridge. The ducks included *Northern
Pintail*, *Northern
Shoveler*, *Mallard, Bufflehead* and *Ring-necked Ducks*. We also saw
quite a few *American Wigeon* in the slough to the left of the first bridge;

· A *Great Egret* flew over us at one point during the walk;

· We observed three woodpecker species including *Northern Flicker*,
*Downy *and* Hairy Woodpeckers. *Everyone got real good looks at the pair
of *Hairy Woodpeckers*;

· Several birders in the group had another nice observation during
the walk. There were three *Brown Creepers* and two *White-breasted
Nuthatches* in the same area. Four of the birds could be seen in the same
binocular view;

· We did not observe the *Black Phoebe* or any *Bald Eagles* during
the walk.

A complete list of today's birds follows. *Our next SAS field trip* will
be at Ankeny NWR on *Sunday,* *January 14th at 8:00 AM*. Meet at the
Overlook off of Ankeny Hill Road. The next SAS Shorts field trip is at
Cascades Gateway Park on Tues*day,* January 23rd* at 9:00 AM*. Meet in the
parking lot. Please join us if you can.

*Note: *Salem Audubon has their first 2018 workshop scheduled for *February
3, 2018 at 10:00 AM – 12 Noon. *The workshop topic is *Raptor ID*. The
workshop will be held at ODFW, 4034 Fairview Industrial Drive SE in Salem.
The cost is only $10.00 with all proceeds going to our conservation
programs.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Minto-Brown Island Park Checklist Summary for January 3, 2018*

*Identified Species: 44*

90 Cackling Goose

50 Canada Goose
26 Northern Shoveler