Date: 1/3/18 4:43 pm
From: Bill Tice <ticebill7...>
Subject: [obol] Local rba Marion Co Rusty Blackbird
Hi all,

I started the birding day by going to the Talking Water Gardens in Albany
to look for the reported American Tree Sparrow. I ran into Roy Gerig and
we spent a good half hour looking without success. He left and I went
looking for Swamp Sparrows and heard 2 of them. Next I went over to Marion
Co and along Duckflat Rd found 1 Lesser Yellowlegs along with about 25
Greaters. From there I went to look for the Trumpeter Swans reported
recently just south of Turner, and there were 3 of them there. As there
was a large cooperative flock of blackbirds in the corn rubble near the
aluminum shed along Hennies Rd, I pulled in there to look them over. In
time I found one bird I believe to be an imm/female type of Tri-colored
Blackbird. She was in company with the many female red-wings, all of which
showed rufous tones. This was was without any such rufous, being quite a
uniform slate, cold grey. There is one washed out pic in my eBird report.
After than I nailed down a bright female Rusty Blackbird (no pics). I
first noted a grey rump/lower back and solid brownish upper back, and then
a light rufous eyeline and breast. The flock flew off about then, and I
wish I could have gotten more on it as well as pics, but am confident in
the ID. I am not sure if there are any former Marion records of Rusty
Blackbird (Is this still a review species?).

Bill Tice

:
"If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."
George Harrison

Join us on Facebook!