Date: 1/3/18 3:59 pm
From: 'Bailey, Steven D' <sdbailey...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Common Redpoll & other yard birds
Like everyone else that missed Amar's Ivory Gull, so did Sheryl & I, even though we arrived within 15 minutes of the sighting. A consolation when we arrived home was having our first COMMON REDPOLL of the winter, joining our 15+ PINE SISKINS that have been around for at least the last month, at our thistle seed feeders. In addition, I noticed a flock of 30 HOUSE FINCHES perched atop our catalpa tree, which is about 20-25 more than we generally see at one time in the yard. (I also counted 29 DARK-EYED JUNCOS coming to the various feeders scattered around the yard back on December 28th , which was about 20 more than you can usually find at one time in the yard.) Sheryl also saw both (one adult, one imm.) of the COOPER'S HAWKS today, that patrol our yard daily, perched within ten feet of one another. The only other birds of note today were the 8 AMERICAN ROBINS perched in a yard (next to some sumac shrubs) in the Prairie Crossing subdivision of Grayslake that Phil Doncheck and I saw while checking other spots for the Ivory Gull. Good birding!

Steve Bailey
Mundelein (Lake Co.)
<sdbailey...>

Then my heart turns to Alaska and freedom on the run, I can hear her spirit calling
me to the mountains, I can rest there. To the rivers, I will be strong.
To the forests, I'll find peace there. To the wild country, where I belong.
- John Denver

Join us on Facebook!