Date: 1/3/18 3:40 pm
From: James Pike <jimpike444...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Christmas Count Totals
Thanks, Bettina. I'm not trying to make your job as a compiler any harder
than it already is. As I recall, a tentative species total is usually
reached at the compilation after the count. By then, highlights are
typically known, as are misses that can be looked for over the next few
days. An informal post after the count citing these details would be useful
and appreciated. BTW, I'm not sure if this is relevant in regards to count
week, but the Gray Flycatcher was chasing the Hammond's Flycatcher (again,
apparently) this afternoon at Mile Square Park. This occurred in the usual
area for the Hammond's at the east end of the row of trees (eucs and liquid
ambers) on the golf course side of the wooden fence.

Jim Pike
HB

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 12:04 PM, <bettinae869...>
[OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Jeff Bray has mentioned to me that he has been receiving emails from folks
> asking about what was seen on this years Christmas Bird Counts.
>
> But, as he is not directly involved in the compilation of the data, he is
> relying on Doug, Darrell and myself for that information.
>
> However, we, in turn, are still waiting on data from some of our Area
> Leaders. So please, bare with us!
>
> Doug, Darrell and myself have had several meetings throughout the year on
> ways that we can organize the recording of this data in a more timely
> fashion. But, this is still, largely, done by hand. And, our responsibility
> is to submit this data to National Audubon.
>
> So, although some Area Leaders do also submit their data into eBird, it is
> not set up as an eBird event. And, the format for Natiinal Audubon is
> different.
>
> As my posting yesterday mentioned, there were no real surprises. Any
> unusual species reported (as far as we have heard from our Area Leaders)
> were "known" birds that had already been reported to this forum. And, any
> Area Leaders who have not submitted their completed data yet, would have
> contacted us immediately with information about any rare birds found.
>
> The only rare birds found during the Coastal count, that were not
> previously reported here, were two birds I personally found the day of the
> count.
>
> One was a female Hooded Oriole I happened upon near Tewinkle Park. And,
> the other was a Western Flycatcher I found in a Private community that I
> only have access to on count day. And, is closed to the public.
>
> As always, once all the data is compiled accurately, we will get as much
> of that information in to Jeff and Ryan as soon as possible.
>
> And, of course, as always, Nancy Kenyon will publish our findings in the
> Wandering Tattler.
>
> Thanks for your patience during this, our first year, as compilers.
>
> And, we hope you'll help us in counting at the end of this year!! We could
> always use more volunteers!! In fact, we were quite short-handed this time
> around.
>
> Sincerely,
> Bettina Eastman
> Huntington Beach