Date: 1/3/18 2:02 pm
From: Scott Seltman <sselt...>
Subject: Bohemian Waxwing on Syracuse CBC / 2 January 2018
I was hoping to get my 2018 Year List off to a good start on the Syracuse
CBC and my wish came true. Best bird for me was a BOHEMIAN WAXWING that was
in with about 15 Cedar Waxwing in the northern part of Syracuse.
(Intersection of Hamilton and Ave. G. Pic available on request.)

I don't believe Bohemian Waxwing has been reported in Kansas for awhile,
though it's possible I'm just not remembering. There have been huge
invasions of these birds along the Front Range of Colorado in recent decades
and occasionally we've seen some spillover of a few in NW Kansas, but it
remains a fairly rare sight here. I think maybe the last ones I saw were in
Leoti. In 2017 there were some early reports of BOWA from Colorado and a
few sightings in states to our north and east. I recommend checking out
flocks of Cedar Waxwings, especially in the NW half of the state.

Notable birds seen elsewhere by me on the CBC include: Wood Duck 20, Golden
Eagle 3, Merlin 1, Prairie Falcon 2, Black-billed Magpie 4, Common Raven 3,
Golden-crowned Kinglet 1, Townsend's Solitaire 1, 'Audubon's' Warbler 8
among the many other YRWAs.

Scott Seltman

Larned, Kansas

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html