Date: 1/3/18 1:58 pm
From: Jason A Wilder <Jason.Wilder...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] NAZ: Pine Grosbeaks in the San Francisco Peaks
This morning I found a flock of about 15 Pine Grosbeaks feeding and calling loudly in mixed aspen-fir-spruce forest near the base of the Humphrey's Peak Trail. Photos and location details can be found here: http://azbird.net/sightings/showthread.php?tid=8843

Briefly, the birds are about half a mile up the trail, which can be accessed from Parking Lot #1 of the Arizona Snowbowl (paved road). Conditions are currently dry and dusty once you pass over the ski run that crosses the start of the trail.

Also, for anyone interested, I've spent two days this week hiking and exploring in the 10,500'-11,400' range of various parts of the San Francisco Peaks (taking advantage of the fact that it's mid-winter and there's no snow). There are lots of Red Crossbills up there and also an interesting pattern of all-"Oregon"-type juncos hanging out near treeline (I've found no other type up there, despite a diverse mix of juncos down in Flagstaff), but I've been unable to turn up anything exotic (other than the PIGRs).

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ