Date: 1/3/18 12:56 pm
From: Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...>
Subject: Status of today's New Cumberland Lock and Dam, Hancock County water birds; no Glaucous Gull
According to Google Maps used by eBird, New Cumberland is one of the few
places where the Ohio/West Virginia boundary is out in the middle of the
river, rather than hugging the Ohio shore. This is apparently a legacy of
the historical channel west bank being there, and then being flooded by
construction of the lock and dam.

Consequently, ALL the water birds I reported earlier today at that location
were in Ohio, not West Virginia. The only birds near the WV shore, which
was completely frozen, were the 3 Bald Eagles.

I also checked on first-year Glaucous and Iceland Gulls to refresh my
memory. Both had a faint terminal tail band, which only Iceland has, so
both birds were thus Iceland Gulls.

--
Terry Bronson
Morgantown, WV