Date: 1/3/18 12:36 pm
From: <bettinae869...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Christmas Count Totals
Hello everyone,

Jeff Bray has mentioned to me that he has been receiving emails from folks asking about what was seen on this years Christmas Bird Counts.

But, as he is not directly involved in the compilation of the data, he is relying on Doug, Darrell and myself for that information.

However, we, in turn, are still waiting on data from some of our Area Leaders. So please, bare with us!

Doug, Darrell and myself have had several meetings throughout the year on ways that we can organize the recording of this data in a more timely fashion. But, this is still, largely, done by hand. And, our responsibility is to submit this data to National Audubon.

So, although some Area Leaders do also submit their data into eBird, it is not set up as an eBird event. And, the format for Natiinal Audubon is different.

As my posting yesterday mentioned, there were no real surprises. Any unusual species reported (as far as we have heard from our Area Leaders) were "known" birds that had already been reported to this forum. And, any Area Leaders who have not submitted their completed data yet, would have contacted us immediately with information about any rare birds found.

The only rare birds found during the Coastal count, that were not previously reported here, were two birds I personally found the day of the count.

One was a female Hooded Oriole I happened upon near Tewinkle Park. And, the other was a Western Flycatcher I found in a Private community that I only have access to on count day. And, is closed to the public.

As always, once all the data is compiled accurately, we will get as much of that information in to Jeff and Ryan as soon as possible.

And, of course, as always, Nancy Kenyon will publish our findings in the Wandering Tattler.

Thanks for your patience during this, our first year, as compilers.

And, we hope you'll help us in counting at the end of this year!! We could always use more volunteers!! In fact, we were quite short-handed this time around.

Sincerely,
Bettina Eastman
Huntington Beach
Coastal Christmas Bird Count Compiler

------------------------------------
Posted by: <bettinae869...>
------------------------------------

Reports and bird identities are neither edited nor verified. Use at your own risk. Please consult the standard reference books for proper bird identification & currently accepted names. Please do NOT use abbreviations or acronyms in lieu of names. Both scientific and/or common names of birds are acceptable.

All posts must be on-topic: about birds/birding in Orange County, California (nowhere else!). Your posts must include both a clear subject line *and* your name *and your city of residence*. Off-topic posts will be deleted and the sender put on moderated status. Repeat offenders will be banned.

To search for a bird discussed in past messages, browse or search the archives at:

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)