Date: 1/3/18 12:27 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Only A Few Species At The Chicago Botanic Garden Wed 1-3-18
Hello Bird People,

Figured since today would be the warmest day until the weekend I'd
best do some birding while walking. Even with some wind & snow
flurries it wasn't too bad compared to the last week or so.
However, I could only find 14 species at the CBG & none were anything
you'd want to chase.
The only remaining open water is where the stream flows under the
Dundee Rd bridge.

Chicago Botanic Garden (8:15-10:45 a.m.)

GREAT BLUE HERON (1, can't believe it's still here!)
Canada Goose (~325 all by the open water)
Mallard (82, by the open water)
Red Tailed Hawk (2-AD flying together)
WINTER COOT (1 in the open water)
Blue Jay (2)
Chickadee (3)
Robins (30-35, eating red berries)
CEDAR WAXWING (6, with the Robins)
Tree Sparrow (1)
Junco (16)
COMMON REDPOLL (80-82, most in the Birch & Alder trees on Evening Island)
PINE SISKIN (10-11, mixed in with the Redpolls)
Goldfinch (3 calling while in flight)

The Redpolls & Siskins are good finds but they are always around this
Winter & there are many of them so
Bird-Of-The-Day to the very tough Great Blue Heron & Runner-Up to the
Winter Coot.
Fancy Pants Bird Of The Day to the fine looking Cedar Waxwings.
Made a stop at Lake Opeka but the Tundra Swan reported from here on
Ebird was not seen by me.

License Plate Of The Day to one from Mississippi seen on Oakton St.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: