Date: 1/3/18 12:20 pm
From: <susan...>
Subject: bird mortality from TS Grayson
Jamie and All---

Indeed wading birds are vulnerable directly from this cold but by having
their foraging areas frozen over for a significant amount of time.
Dabbling ducks-- ditto. And shorebirds-- well, they have been
challenged for several days now.

Any insectivores will have a rough time for the next several days unless
they were well fattened up by the end of 2017 or now have access to a
feeding station with suet, mealworms. etc. Yes, hummingbirds will be
very interested in sugar water-- and fortunately they can exist on only
nectar for a few days at least-- if they are healthy and have good
instincts. Even seed and fruit eaters may be in trouble if they do not
have ready access to food and heavy cover.

Frank Hamilton's example is a good one in terms of how to provide extra
food for our birds--- as was Ann Maddock's hummer feeder heater set up.
And, by the way, there is now a commercial sugar water heater available
(go to our NC Hummingbird FB page for details from Dwayne Martin who has
been testing it out this week). This was actually developed during the
last couple years in the Northwest-- for overwintering Anna's
Hummingbirds. But clearly there is a market in the Southeastern US this
year as well!

**Also-- by the way-- I have had both coastal as well as inland hummer
(2 in Raliegh) hosts JUST attracting a hummingbird to their nectar in
the last couple days! So IF you can keep your feeder thawed, be sure to
have an eye out: you may get a late season customer!! And let me know
right way, of course!

Here on the farm, I just made a fresh batch of suet that I will be
crumbling as well as fitting into my cage-wthin-a-cage feeder. I have
millet, safflower and sunflower out and just added water to my (simple
and inexpensive) heated dog dish-- with a big shell in the middle for
easy, safe access. Guess the snow is falling now but not quite making
it to the ground in the Sandhills--so far.

Stay warm and safe everyone-- and enjoy the birds!

Susan Campbell
Southern Pines, NC

Join us on Facebook!