Date: 1/3/18 11:52 am
From: Rich Rieger via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Fairfax Co on a warm day
Set out on the warmest day of 2018 to see a few birds.

Eurasian Wigeon and Eared Grebe continue in Pohick Bay. Massive waterfowl flock keeping some water open - don't know what will happen over the next few days though. Eared Grebe was only Grebe to be seen in the hour (11a - no0n) I was there. Wigeon finally moved off from the mass of coots to a less crowded area, so really good scope views. All waterfowl seen today from cartop boat launch area. You can walk out white trail, cross boardwalk and head down toward water when you see "Private Property" signs for a closer look. Good idea to bring a scope.

Over to Occoquan Regional Park - arrived just in time to see Glaucous Gull posted up on ice in middle of river. 4th year Eagle flew over and put all the gulls up. Glaucous flew right over our heads and disappeared - did not return to river. NO Iceland was present.

Then up to Laurel Hill Equestrian Center where the Clay Colored Sparrow appeared in about 5 minutes along edge of entry road near multiflora rose bushes. Still hanging w. the White Crowns, of which there was easily 20. A few Songs and Wthroats also...

Rich Rieger
Alexandria