Date: 1/3/18 10:17 am
Subject: Territorial Warbler?
We’ve had great luck recently using suet balls and dried mealworms in our
feeders; the Eastern Bluebirds arrive in a gang and feast heartily. The
surprising development has been the appearance of a Yellow-rumped Warbler
at the feeders, feeding not only on the above items but taking sunflower
chips as well.

This bounty of food has evidently transformed this little warbler into a
feeder tyrant. He sits in the tree near the feeder and pugilistically
attacks any and all comers, although the bluebirds seem to have permission
to enter. But the House Finches, the House Sparrows, and even the plucky
Brown-headed Nuthatches are no match for this avian warrior, who divebombs
any trespassers even as they attempt to alight in the tree.

Is this normal behavior for the species, or do we have a psycho warbler on
our hands?

Fred Burggraf

Murrells Inlet, SC

Georgetown Co.