Date: 1/3/18 9:56 am
From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56...>
Subject: [obol] Re: CBC etiquette
The potential exists for this discussion to extend indefinitely, which would not be a proper use of OBOL. Therefore at some point we need to bring it to a close. Our moderator politely suggested this yesterday.

I hope I have sufficient earned credit in both the birding community and the gay community to suggest that we move on.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...>

Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com

> On Jan 3, 2018, at 9:43 AM, Brodie Cass Talbott <brodietlewis...> wrote:
>
> I don't want to speak on behalf of the OP, but I do want to forcefully rebuke the idea that the offending party was acting in good faith and therefore should expect leniency. "Religious" or "scientific" rationale for bigotry is as old as bigotry itself, and I'm sure I need not list here the many times it has been employed to excuse horrific actions against basically every persecuted class there has ever been. If we create a religious "exemption" for hate speech, then most bigots will conveniently hide behind that exemption, which is assuredly already happening.
>
> Even if the offending party was 100% altruistic in their behavior, which I don't think is possible, the community at large needs to know that this behavior is absolutely not acceptable, and ignorance is not an excuse. I am not saying that these people were awful people that I hate, I am saying that, simply, there behavior is and should remain unacceptable.
>
> And for those of you who are feeling like this has dragged on long enough, is political, and should be moved to BOO, I would submit that, as I alluded to earlier, this is a matter of human rights, not politics, and ensuring that birding is open and welcoming to all is a vital first step to undertaking the endeavor at all. To that end, I commend the many leaders of the Oregon birding community that have condemned the original speech.
>

> Brodie

Join us on Facebook!