Date: 1/3/18 9:45 am
Subject: Huge waterfowl flock at Lake Crabtree, NC
Kevin Hudson and I birded Lake Crabree just west of Raleigh this morning.
He has already posted about all of the birds we had, into eBird. I had a
few other things. The lake is now 95% frozen, but the center of the lake is
kept open by over 1,500 ducks! Though we couldn't find anything rare, the
view from the tower in the county park was awesome, scanning that many
birds back and forth three times (for me).

Here are our estimates, several probably all time high counts for me for
Wake County:

Double-crested Cormorant 7 (where did the big flock go?)
WOOD DUCK 30 amazing to see these birds in the middle of the lake, and
standing on the ice!
Northern Shoveler 6
Gadwall 30
American Wigeon 4 I saw two males that he didn't
Mallard 300 obviously not just the local small group of feral birds
Green-winged Teal 60
Ring-necked Duck 250 he reported "only" 100
Lesser Scaup 300
Greater Scaup 6 or more none that he saw; I was there before he got
there
scaup sp.. 100
Bufflehead 100 he reported 75
Hooded Merganser 800 I'll buy that! Everywhere
Ruddy Duck 100
Pied-billed Grebe 6 he reported one
Horned Grebe 1
American Coot 6
Bonaparte's Gull 30 or more
Ring-billed Gull 200 couldn't find Herrings (nor Iceland)

Thankfully, no Bald Eagle flew over to attempt to catch a duck. I can
easily imagine that will happen at some point today, considering that there
was about 1-2 square-foot of open water for each waterbird. If that
happened, the birds might completely leave the lake.

Are the coastal folks ready for W.S. Grayson? Gonna be an interesting next
couple of days toward the coast.

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

Join us on Facebook!