Date: 1/3/18 5:00 am
Subject: Re: Mary's Pond at Bear Island freezing
This happens during these cold events - most or all brackish ricefield
impoundments throughout coastal SC briefly froze a couple of times in the
cold winters of the mid-1970s. And the winter after Hugo in 1989. And a
few other times. When it happens the ducks move over into the salt
marshes and bays and sounds. And the duck hunters who know what they are
doing have a field day.

When they are frozen out of access to their preferred food sources for a
few days, a lot of waterfowl head south - just as they do when they are
frozen out of Maryland and other mid-Atlantic tidewater areas to push them
down here.

- I am curious if Lake Mattamuskeet and some of the NC lakes are freezing -
has anyone heard or seen?

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

On Tuesday, January 2, 2018, EASTMAN, CAROLINE <EASTMAN...> wrote:

> I visited Bear Island [SC] today. Mary's Pond was partially frozen, and
> most of the ducks seen recently have moved elsewhere. I only saw a few
> ducks today, fortunately including the Eurasian Widgeon hanging out with
> some American Widgeon. Some of the ducks and gulls were having a hard time
> trying to walk on the ice. There were a lot of ducks flying around,
> probably looking for open water. The swans were doing ok, but I assume even
> they may have to yield to the ice eventually.
>
> Caroline Eastman
> Columbia SC

Join us on Facebook!