Date: 1/2/18 10:12 pm
From: Jennifer Rycenga <gyrrlfalcon...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] January 1st birding
A resolute team of six birders made a new slogan real: Birders Party on New Year’s Day! Leslie Flint, Donna and Doug Pomeroy, Ginny Marshall, Peggy Macres and I ran a county Big Day, ending with 126 species. Highlights included ANCIENT MURRELET and abundant RHINOCEROS AUKLET at Pigeon Point, the continuing LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE on Cloverdale Road, the continuing YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER on Stage Road, BLACK SCOTER at Pescadero State Beach, WHITE-WINGED SCOTER on the water and FERRUGINOUS HAWK riding thermals on the east side of Pomponio State Beach - all of the coastside. On the bayside, the Foster City Shell Bar had an unusual site - a BARROW’S GOLDENEYE on the bay, as well as strong numbers of BLACK SKIMMER and two RUDDY TURNSTONES. At Nob Hill Pond, the male EURASIAN WIGEON was relocated, as well as BLUE-WINGED TEAL.

May we all have a wonderful year appreciating, documenting and protecting our amazing corner of the world here in San Mateo county. Happy New Year (List)!

Jennifer Rycenga
San Mateo, CA
visit http://birding.sequoia-audubon.org/
The San Mateo County Birding Guide