Date: 1/2/18 7:23 pm
From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack...>
Subject: [texbirds] Tuesday morning bird census, Hagerman NWR.
It was frigid today but birding was great. One exceptional find was a Rough-legged Hawk. We also saw two Harlan's Red-tailed Hawks in close proximity to each other. We finished the day with 23 Red-tailed Hawks. Many of the bodies of water on the refuge were covered with ice which caused a lot of the Ducks to bunch together in what open water there was. We saw over 600 Northern Pintails, 222 Mallards, 121 Northern Shovelers, 73 Green-winged Teal, 13 Canvasbacks, 6 Buffleheads, 4 Ruddy-Ducks, 85 Hooded Mergansers and other ducks. We saw the male Bald Eagle at Meadow Pond, along with 7 Pied-billed Grebes huddled together in a small pool that had not iced over yet and a one Winter Wren near the north shore. Fox Sparrows were abundant near Deaver Pond. We finished the day with 108 Harris's Sparrows. Our species total for the day was 85.
Jack Chiles, Texas Master Naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWR.

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!