Date: 1/2/18 6:30 pm
From: Ric Zarwell <birdingricz...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Bald Eagles up very close and personal. Lansing, Allamakee Co.
We see a good number of Bald Eagles from our home (actually from our couch) throughout all but the coldest days of the year. But things were much better on New Year's Day.

First, an adult BAEA shot past our window at less than 10 feet of altitude and just half-way between our home and our bird feeders and the maple tree, 30 feet away, under which Betty and I were married. That was followed several seconds later by a second adult BAEA also flying low and headed in the same direction, about 60-70 feet from our window.

Those two eagles circled our property barely above our trees for a period of 15-minutes, and twice landed less than a hundred feet from our window. A half-dozen crows soon joined the party. After things quieted down I went out to look, expecting to see a food item. But could find nothing that might have caused the sudden influx. All an interesting event, especially so close.

Repeated views of a busy Brown Creeper on our wedding tree was my best bird of the 18 species I saw from our window during the first day of 2018.

May 2018 be an enjoyable and bird-filled year for one and all.

Ric

Ric Zarwell
Email: <BirdingRicZ...> <mailto:<BirdingRicZ...>
Mobile: 563-419-4991