Date: 1/2/18 6:22 pm
From: Bob Reed <bobreed1987...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [ALBIRDS] How to make a CBC summary report from your eBird list(s)
I tried this on a PC, and it is difficult. THe number of checklists stays
with the names, and they really need to be in a different column. Has
anyone (smarter than I) done it and figured out how to import the file to
Excel? If so, I'd appreciate some help, please.

Bob Reed
COL US Army, Retired

334-207-0985 Mobile

On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 2:16 PM, 'Lucy and Bob Duncan'
<robertaduncan...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
wrote:

> The following was on the Louisiana bird listserv posted by Van Remsen, and
> may be very helpful to other birders who are CBC participants.
>
> Lucy Duncan
>

> *Subject: How to make a CBC summary report from your eBird list(s)*
> Date: Sun Dec 31 2017 11:30 am
> From: najames AT lsu.edu
>

> LABIRD: many or most of us do eBird our CBC lists, and those of us who
> break up our CBC lists into 2 or more lists of fewer than 5-miles (eBird
> Best Practices policy for mapping bird data) are faced with combining
> multiple lists into a single report to give to the compiler. Not sure if
> the following is simpler than doing it by hand, but it definitely avoids
> having to add two more columns by hand. The following takes just a couple
> of minutes (minus any additional cosmetic formatting) and also produces a
> spreadsheet that may be handy for the beleaguered compilers:
>

> *In My eBird under My Checklists*
>

> 1. Click Summarize MyObservations
>
> 2. Click Week Report and the date of your CBC.
>
> 3. Select the localities from displayed list
>
> 4. Hit Species Totals tab on the right end of the subsequent display of
> species and numbers
>
> 5. Hit Download this report
>
> 6. Create a new Workbook in Excel
>
> 7. Under File menu, hit Import (in Mac anyway)
>
> 8. Click Text File and Import and grab the downloaded text file from eBird
> and follow the steps (e.g. Delimited and Tab and General and Finish
>
> Presto, you have list in eBird order with the Species Count column being
> the sum of your lists™ totals for that species.
>
> Then, just delete superfluous columns and text.

> Dr. J. V. Remsen
>
> Prof. of Natural Science and Curator of Birds
>
> Museum of Natural Science/Dept. Biological Sciences
>
> LSU, Baton Rouge, LA 70803
>
> najamesLSU.edu

Join us on Facebook!