Date: 1/2/18 5:51 pm
From: Jay Jones <jonesjay62...>
Subject: Re: Water !
I noticed what I thought was a Swainson’s Thrush at my birdbath earlier today, but based on YOUR observation I will be taking a closer look at it’s ext visit. Amazing how many unusual visitors I e had to my birdbath in recent cold mornings. I feed a no mess hulled seed buffet along with suet/peanut nuggets and have the usual winter residents. But open water brings another set: Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, thrush, mocker, Eastern BluebirdYellow-rumped and Orange-crowned Warbler, etc. etc.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jan 2, 2018, at 5:45 PM, Karen Konarski-Hart <karen...> wrote:
>
> We’ve been seeing a hermit thrush at the thawed birdbath. Not usual in Hillcrest. As I was filling the feeder this evening, it came down to the water literally 3 feet away from me and sat and drank for 5 minutes , just looking at me w that big eyed thrush look while it drank multiple times, resting in between sips as I stared directly at it. Another bird fussing behind it finally caused it to turn around but it stayed on the bath w its back to me, turning its head to reach back & drink a few times before fluttering off. Obviously I was no bother to it. Very appealing few moments. Karen Hart
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Jan 1, 2018, at 5:26 PM, Judy & Don <9waterfall9...> wrote:
>
>>> We see birds drinking at the creek only 100 feet away in winter so I never thought they needed something closer to the feeders. Just off the deck there is a goldfish pond with a bubbler and plants they sit upon to drink.
>>> But after reading all these posts I felt guilty and on Friday decided to set the extra heated chicken water bowl on the edge of the deck with a large flat-topped rock in the center so they could perch around the edge or sit on the rock like they do in the unheated birdbath in warm weather. I put seeds nearby. Well, it's been almost 4 days and I haven't seen a single bird drinking from the bowl yet. Squirrels of course, but no birds. So I have been pouring warm water into the unheated birdbath all afternoon. It freezes but I just pour more warm water in. The birds love it.
>>> Guess I should buy a heated birdbath.
>>
>> Judith
>> Ninestone, Carroll County
>>> On Jan 1, 2018, at 2:41 PM, Karen Konarski-Hart <karen...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Right that! We have a heated bath & keep adding water from pitcher. A robin watched as I filled it w warm water & was in immediately. Also throwing scratch seed on ground has them all hopping. I can feel them giving me the squint eye when I’m a bit late. They all look like brown tennis balls w feet.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!