Date: 1/2/18 5:47 pm
From: Christopher Hill <Chill...>
Subject: Re: Possible Snowy Owl @ Summerville SC
White in the wings with heavy barring sounds very good for Snowy. Nobody else really has white in the wings, just shades of gray and tan for light colors. Of course dusk and artificial lights might affect it - a classic thing is for people to see owls in the headlights looking white and reporting them as snowies when they’re just barred or something like that lit by the headlights. But this doesn’t sound like that situation - sounds like a Snowy.

Chris Hill
Conway SC

> On Jan 2, 2018, at 7:02 PM, Pamela Ford <carolinabirds...> wrote:
>
> I was at the Azalea Square shopping center at dusk today, at 5:55 an owl flew into a 20 foot leafless tree in front of me at Target. The owl was not brown like a Barred Owl, and not pure white like an adult snowy but I was able to make out the face and saw white in the wings with heavy barring. As i approached the owl it took flight and I followed it across the parking lot to a perch in another tree near a dumpster, i continued to try and relocate it as it would take flight as I approached and got closer, i was on foot and did not have Binos or camera with me but after flushing Owl from tree to tree at least 3 times i felt i might be stressing the Owl. Especially since i last located it above a dumpster. I do not know for sure if it was a Snowy but wanted to get the word out.
> Pam Ford
> Charleston
>
> Bird On!
> Sent from my iPad