Date: 1/2/18 5:42 pm
From: Stephen Johnson via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Fairfax and Loudoun: No SNOW, no NSHR, yes Rough-legged

Hello birders,

Happy New Year. I did not find the Northern Shrike at Sully Woodlands, yesterday or today. Last report I see for it is Dec. 22.

At Dulles Airport today, no Snowy Owl atop the mid-terminal buildings, but at least one Rough-legged Hawk was there, towards the SW. Recommend if you go there looking for either one, and you want anything more than minimal identification field marks, bring a spotting scope.

Viewing from the parking structure, I could verify the absence of the owl; but if it were there, it would be a round white ball through 12X binoculars. Similarly, I could only get minimal field marks on the Rough-legged, at that distance.

As far as time of day, in the afternoon you're looking into the sun, for the Rough-legged. The best time of day, would be whenever they shut off all those heat-producing jet engines. Let us all know please, if you find out when that is.

Good luck and good birding!!

Steve Johnson
Fairfax, Virginia