Date: 1/2/18 3:10 pm
From: Hofmeier, Jordan [KDWPT] <Jordan.Hofmeier...>
Subject: Sawyer CBC Summary - better late than never
The Sawyer CBC was conducted on Dec. 20th, 2017. It was a strange year for birds in the Sawyer circle. We had 78 total species (a new high from what I can tell) with 13,561 total individuals(the lowest individual total count since 2001/02). We had new high counts for 10 species, and tied high counts for 2 species.

High Counts
Gadwell - 20
American Widgeon - 20
American Kestrel (tied 1988/89) - 26
Wilson's Snipe - 4
Ring-billed Gull - 3
Mourning Dove - 202
White-winged Dove - 3
Mountain Bluebird - 82
Northern Mockingbird - 2
Orange-crowned Warbler (tied last year) - 1
White-throated Sparrow - 37
Harris's Sparrow - 594

Strange/Notable Misses
Wild Turkey (observed in 90% of counts)
Prairie Falcon (86% of counts)
Merlin (only 26% of counts but observed in 7/10 of the last years)
Golden-crowned Kinglet (69% of counts)
- the resident Ladder-backed Woodpecker appears to be gone for good
- we missed Red-shouldered Hawks which had been reliable at Elm Mills the last few years

Jordan Hofmeier

Aquatic Ecologist, Ecological Services

Kansas Dept. of Wildlife, Parks, & Tourism

512 SE 25th Ave, Pratt, KS 67124

Office: (620) 672-0798

Cell: (785) 249-0874

Fax: (620) 672-2972