Date: 1/2/18 2:37 pm
From: Eric Secker <esecker...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Rutland CBC Dec. 30 - Results
We had 31 participants show up in spite of the frigid cold temperatures
to cover nine different areas within the 15 mile diameter count circle
in northern Kane Co. and part of southern McHenry Co along the Fox River
in the east and going west to Burlington and Hampshire, IL. Sites in the
circle included the Algonquin, Carpentersville and Elgin Dams, Brunner
F.P., Burnidge F.P., Fox River Shores, Raceway Woods, Pingree Grove,
Fitchie Creek, Rutland, Freeman Kame, Hampshire F.P., Muirhead Springs,
Binnie F.P., Tyler Creek, Exner Marsh, and others. Here's a map of the
area: https://goo.gl/zQexPM

Two intrepid birders did some owling predawn without any success in the
cold and wind, but we still added owls later in the day and during some
owling in the evening. Most participants started the day between 7 a.m.
and 7:30 a.m. with the temperature around 3 degrees (F) and a -17 degree
windchill. Fortunately the skies were clear almost all day and the sun
make for a still beautiful day. After a long day of both short walks by
many, long walks by more intrepid individuals than myself, breaks for
lunch, and lots of birding by car, about 15 people concluded their day
with a casual dinner and opportunity to share their results at Jimmy's
Charhouse on Randall Rd. in Elgin.

We ended the day with a total of 66 species! The full list with totals
is below. Congrats to everyone who helped. That's a very respectable
number for thirty people, a very cold day, and our first time ever
conducting a count here. We also had at least 7 additional birds
reported during the extended "count week" window between Dec. 27 and Jan. 2.

Most areas had about 20-25 species with the river areas coming in higher
partially due to the birds congregating along the water and in the
ravines and woods near the river. 40 Bald Eagles were seen just between
the two sections of river in our area. We also had 6 species of ducks
and all the expected woodpeckers (no Red-headeds) as well as Carolina
Wrens, Winter Wrens, and Tufted Titmice. The western areas represented
with Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers and all the expected country roadside
birds included Horned Larks, Lapland Longspurs, and Snow Buntings. Area
4 also had a nice mix of the count's only Red-winged Blackbirds,
Brown-headed Cowbirds, and Rusty Blackbirds. Red-breasted Nuthatches and
Pine Siskins were both represented in a number of areas this year. The
only two documentable species included two Thayer's Gulls and a
California Gull, all seen at Carpentersville Dam. Many woodland birds as
well as hawks and sparrows were in low supply due to the cold.

If you didn't join us this year, but are interested in helping in the
future, feel free to contact me to get added to next year's contact
list. We're glad to have help recruiting too if you know of others who
might be interested in joining. Next year's tentative date will be
Saturday, Dec. 29, 2018 with Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2019 as a secondary
option depending on everyone's availability and potential conflicts with
other counts.

Thanks again to everyone who participated. Have a wonderful new year and
here's to hoping that this new count becomes a fun yearly tradition as
well as a great resource for documenting the birds wintering in this area.

Eric

---------------------
Eric Secker
Rutland CBC Compiler