Date: 1/2/18 2:12 pm
Subject: Re: Cold day of Upstate SC birding
Sadly, one bird is now missing from the Townville area, and the rest of the
Carolinas. Back in the 1970s, when I was in grad school at Clemson, Sid
Gauthreaux (my major professor) and I would run into a BEWICK'S WREN every
winter or two. The birds hung around old sheds, and of course weedy
brushpiles near them, and I think they spent the cold nights inside sheds
and barns. It was definitely a winter resident, and not just a rare stray.
By the early or mid-1980s, they were all gone from the Carolinas at all
seasons. Thankfully, the area did (and still does) host a good number of
wintering White-crowned Sparrows and a few Vesper Sparrows, as well as the
occasional Lapland Longspurs.and Brewer's Blackbirds. A marsh along the
edge of Lake Hartwell had the occasional BLACK RAIL a few times.

Those were the days in the Carolinas! Bewick's Wrens, Evening Grosbeaks,
Red Crossbills downstate, Fulvous Whistling-Ducks, Am. Tree Sparrows, and a
few others.

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 4:07 PM, <scompton1251...> wrote:

> Birders,
>

> Visited Dobbins farm and Prater Gin in Townville, then over to the
> Traveler's Rest area in Greenville county to check the Stamey Valley and
> Milford Church Road ponds. Starting temp was 13 F. with the farm ponds
> frozen tight, but did find a few Horned Larks at Dobbins. Better luck at
> Prater with White-crowned and Vesper Sparrows. Over in Greenville County
> the reliable Redheads were at Stamey Valley and the two hen Goldeneyes are
> still at Milford Church Road.
>

> Did not find the Brewer's Blackbirds at Dobbins last listed December about
> the 18th and missed the Peregrine Falcon Scott Davis reported there
> yesterday. No pipits was an unusual miss. But 13 degrees slows everything
> down. So I will have to return. This Townville farm area is very open and
> very far west, so it attracts a lot of birds hard to find anywhere else in
> the state. Best place I know for Brewer's Blackbird, White-crowned Sparrow,
> and Vesper Sparrow.
>

> < /p>
>
> Steve Compton
>
> Greenville, SC