Date: 1/2/18 2:08 pm
From: David Irons <llsdirons...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Christmas Bird Count interactions
Chukar hunters are by and large the salt of the earth and good company. Bigots? not so much.

I admire anyone with the fortitude to hunt chukars. By all accounts it is WORK.

Dave Irons

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 2, 2018, at 12:00 PM, Alan Contreras <acontrer56...><mailto:<acontrer56...>> wrote:

I recall a long-time birding friend telling me very privately that he never told any of his birding friends that he hunted chukars because he’d be perceived as wicked.

Let’s work on making a better start to 2018.

Alan Contreras
<acontrer56...><mailto:<acontrer56...>

Eugene, Oregon

www.alanlcontreras.com<http://www.alanlcontreras.com>

On Jan 2, 2018, at 11:48 AM, Joel Geier <joel.geier...><mailto:<joel.geier...>> wrote:

Hi all,

As the regional CBC editor for Oregon, I've been asked if there is some kind of policy about the type of negative interaction that we've heard about following the Yaquina Bay CBC.

Lacking time to research the matter, my answer is, "I don't know." What I do know is this:

The CBC brings together many people from different walks of life who may have just one thing in common: an interest in birds.

Just as one example, it's not uncommon at some countdowns to have avid hunters sitting in the same circle as birders who consider hunters to be murderers.

The whole thing works so long as people don't try to use CBC gatherings as a venue for proselytizing others who have different beliefs, or for haranguing certain people to whom they might object, for whatever reason. All CBC volunteers should be allowed to participate in these events with having to worry about being targeted or harassed for who they are.

Good birding,
Joel

Joel Geier

Oregon Regional CBC Editor