Date: 1/2/18 1:52 pm
From: Adam Dudley <adam.dudley...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Owling and coastal birding Jan 2nd
Happy New Year everyone!

Since I just returned from vacation in Europe, this morning I took advantage of my jet lag and got up early to do some owling along the coast. I started at 3am along Purisima Creek Road where a brief drive revealed both GREAT HORNED and BARN OWLS.  I headed back to Rt1 via Verde Road where I was very surprised to see a medium-sized owl sitting on the ground alongside the road - it was in my headlights for about 15 seconds where it showed a pale facial disk and bright yellow eyes; great views of a SHORT-EARED OWL! There was also another barn owl along this stretch. I carried on down to Gazos Creek Road where I spent the remaining two and a half hours Owling before dawn: I managed to hear 2 NORTHERN SAW-WHETS and a lone NORTHERN PYGMY OWL here.  Finally, I headed to Pigeon Point and managed to locate my 6th species of owl for the morning, the over-wintering BURROWING OWL. What a great early morning! Maybe sometimes jet lag is good!?

After owling I headed back up the coast. With the King tide, most of the gulls were concentrated at Bean Hollow and San Gregorio beaches - there were hundreds at each place, although I couldn't find anything unusual. The YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER was at its usual stakeout along Stage Road, and the COMMON GALLINULE was still at Verde Rd pond.

Cheers,

Adam

Join us on Facebook!