Date: 1/2/18 1:07 pm
From: <scompton1251...>
Subject: Cold day of Upstate SC birding

Birders,

Visited Dobbins farm and Prater Gin in Townville, then over to the
Traveler's Rest area in Greenville county to check the Stamey Valley
and Milford Church Road ponds. Starting temp was 13 F. with the farm
ponds frozen tight, but did find a few Horned Larks at Dobbins. Better
luck at Prater with White-crowned and Vesper Sparrows. Over in
Greenville County the reliable Redheads were at Stamey Valley and the
two hen Goldeneyes are still at Milford Church Road.

Did not find the Brewer's Blackbirds at Dobbins last listed December
about the 18th and missed the Peregrine Falcon Scott Davis reported
there yesterday. No pipits was an unusual miss. But 13 degrees slows
everything down. So I will have to return. This Townville farm area is
very open and very far west, so it attracts a lot of birds hard to
find anywhere else in the state. Best place I know for Brewer's
Blackbird, White-crowned Sparrow, and Vesper Sparrow.

Steve Compton

Greenville, SC

Join us on Facebook!