Date: 1/2/18 12:23 pm
From: Karen Saxton <kcsaxton...>
Subject: [obol] Re: CBC etiquette
Appalling! Just returned from Tanzania on a group travel exp and no one
received such BS in that country. I hate hearing it happens in mine(even
though I know better). I hope whoever was handing out tracts was soundly
and gently(or not so gently) corrected :(

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 11:19 AM, Brodie Cass Talbott <brodietlewis...>
> wrote:

> Oscar,
>
> My personal view on this, besides empathy for you for having to deal with
> that, is that organized events like CBCs should have zero tolerance for
> bigotry of any kind, and that any person displaying such bigotry be
> uninvited from future events. Birding has a reputation of lacking
> diversity, and ensuring that every individual feels safe and welcome at
> birding events seems like the obvious first step towards countering that.
>
> I briefly made a political statement to a new acquaintance at the Bend CBC
> and immediately regretted it, even after being relieved that he agreed.
> Politics should be expected to be left at home, but we should demand it of
> bigotry.
>
> And if you ever want to go birding in Portland, drop me a line!
>
> Brodie

Join us on Facebook!