Date: 1/2/18 11:48 am
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Christmas Bird Count interactions
Hi all,

As the regional CBC editor for Oregon, I've been asked if there is some
kind of policy about the type of negative interaction that we've heard
about following the Yaquina Bay CBC.

Lacking time to research the matter, my answer is, "I don't know." What
I do know is this:

The CBC brings together many people from different walks of life who may
have just one thing in common: an interest in birds.

Just as one example, it's not uncommon at some countdowns to have avid
hunters sitting in the same circle as birders who consider hunters to be
murderers.

The whole thing works so long as people don't try to use CBC gatherings
as a venue for proselytizing others who have different beliefs, or for
haranguing certain people to whom they might object, for whatever
reason. All CBC volunteers should be allowed to participate in these
events with having to worry about being targeted or harassed for who
they are.

Good birding,
Joel

Joel Geier