Date: 1/2/18 11:13 am
From: Herb and Sarah Myers <hesemyers...>
Subject: Raptors
I drove to Petersburg, WV today in hopes of seeing some Horned Larks and
companion birds along Hogueland Lane. I was not successful - but yet I was.

On the way over, there was a raptor sitting very high in a tree above Route
55/28 near Cabins. I turned around and went back to study it. It was an
adult Cooper's Hawk.

As I drove down Hogueland Lane fretting that there were no larks in the
snowy fields, I saw a large raptor sitting in a tree over the road near the
sharp bend to the right. I stopped and watched. It flew. It was a beautiful
light-morph Rough-legged Hawk. It soared over me for awhile, so I had great
views of its dark wrist patches and white under-tail with a black band on
the tip. I forgot about the larks.

At the same corner there were 3 - 4 brown-crowned White-crowned Sparrows. I
saw a white-crowned one later at some feeders along Ridge Road.

On the way home I turned around to study a cattle feed lot for birds that
might like to feed there on the bare ground. I had seen Rock Pigeons there
earlier when I passed. As I parked, an American Kestrel flew over the car
and landed on a nearby telephone pole. Its rufous tail was beautiful when
it spread it to land. I saw a second one near Seneca Rocks.

So, was the trip a failure, since I didn't meet my goal? I'd say not! Herb
Myers, Harman, Randolph County

Join us on Facebook!