Date: 1/2/18 11:05 am
From: Harry Glasgow via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows Monday Morning Birdwalk
I am eternally grateful to the many friends of Huntley Meadows Park who have helped with compiling these last several weeks of reports during my hospitalization. One cannot know the depths of friendships until these kinds of situations arise. Thank you.
Twelve birders braved Arctic temperatures to record 35 species to ring in the new year. The central wetland was frozen and no ducks were seen. However, all seven woodpecker species were documented as well as three hermit thrushes and two barred owls.
Canada Goose  72
Bald Eagle  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Ring-billed Gull  7
Mourning Dove  11
Barred Owl  2
Red-headed Woodpecker  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  7
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Downy Woodpecker  9
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker  5
Pileated Woodpecker  2
Blue Jay  6
American Crow  14
Fish Crow  3
Carolina Chickadee  13
Tufted Titmouse  12
White-breasted Nuthatch  7
Brown Creeper  3
Winter Wren  1
Carolina Wren  2
Golden-crowned Kinglet  6
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  1
Eastern Bluebird  6
Hermit Thrush  3
American Robin  3
Yellow-rumped Warbler  3
Dark-eyed Junco  9
White-throated Sparrow  40
Song Sparrow  3
Swamp Sparrow  1
Northern Cardinal  10
Red-winged Blackbird  17
American Goldfinch  15

The Monday Morning Birdwalk has been a weekly event at Huntley Meadows since 1985. It takes place every week, rain or shine (except during electrical storms, strong winds, or icy trails), at 8AM (7AM from March through October), is free of charge, requires no reservation, and is open to all. Birders meet in the parking lot at the Park's entrance at 3701 Lockheed Blvd, Alexandria, VA. Questions should be directed to Park staff during normal business hours at (703)768-2525.

Harry Glasgow
Friends of Huntley Meadows Park