Date: 1/2/18 9:37 am
From: Alan Wallace <wallacealan...>
Subject: Upper Alum Creek Pine Siskins, West Reno, Washoe County
I moved to another place in west Reno a couple of months ago, and the back
yard backs onto the totally natural, undeveloped part of upper Alum Creek
(above the main part of the Caughlin Ranch area). Lots of good birds,
including deck-level Red-tailed Hawk flybys. The big thing that I've
noticed, compared to my old place down by the river, is the deluge of Pine
Siskins. At first, it was a ton of goldfinches (mostly Lesser) with a
handful of siskins. Now, it's about 25-30 siskins at once with fewer
goldfinches. Maybe it's an irruption year for the siskins, or maybe this is
just where they hang out in this area. Subsequent winters will tell the
tale.

Alan Wallace
Reno NV

Join us on Facebook!