Date: 1/2/18 9:23 am
From: DEBRA SHEARWATER <debiluv...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] SBT COUNTY: SAGE THRASHER
Howdy, Birders,

Yesterday, January 1, 2018, I found a SAGE THRASHER near Tres Pinos (town). Tres Pinos is an eBird hot spot because the town is so small. Please use that hot spot to report the thrasher. There is small store, gas, and a couple of restaurants available in town.

eBird checklist with photos: https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41540687 <https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41540687>

Tres Pinos is locate just 12 minutes south of Hollister along Route 25, about 7 miles. At the southeast end of town, turn west (just prior to reaching the church) and go down the hill to an electrical power station. It is a triangular area of several unmarked roads. There is a blue pipe that is leaking/dripping water (photo in checklist above). Birds were coming to sip at the pipe, including this thrasher.

I used my car as a blind. Stepping out of my car to get a better image was a mistake as the birds flew away. It is likely that the thrasher is still around, however.

Almost all Sage Thrasher records in San Benito County have been of individuals in the Panoche Valley area. There are two additional records away from Panoche Valley: one individual along Santa Ana Valley Road about 1997 found by Sam Fitton and one individual along Brown’s Valley Road on February 13, 2015 which I found: (http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S21909983 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S21909983>)

A CASSIN’S KINGBIRD was also present in Tres Pinos on January 1, as well as two CASSIN’S KINGBIRDS at Marantha Drive pond: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41540490 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41540490>. One of those two kingbirds was constantly calling. These Cassin’s Kingbirds have settled in for the winter at locations that are used year after year. Search eBird for more recent records near/in Hollister. One kingbird winters only a couple of blocks from my home: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41218359 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41218359>. Migrant Cassin’s Kingbirds begin arriving in February.

If you find the Sage Thrasher, please report it on eBird and list serves, if possible. Thank you.

Happy Trails & Happy New Year to all!
Debi

DEBRA SHEARWATER
Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
PO Box 190
Hollister, CA 95024
831.637.8527
<debi...>
www.shearwaterjourneys.com
www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

Celebrating 42 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys
Siberia’s Forgotten Coast & Spoon-billed Sandpiper-2019
Galapagos Islands: 30 October - 12 November 2019