Date: 1/2/18 8:24 am
From: 'Geoffrey Rogers' <rogersgl1952...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply...>
Subject: RE: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] White-headed Woodpeckers in San Diego County
Hi Justyn and Nicole,

Paso Picacho Campground is within what’s considered the Cuyamaca Mountains. The species was affected by the Cedar Fire and now seems extirpated from the Cuyamacas. The few sightings over the years from the Laguna Mountains proper (southeast of the Cuyamacas) may have been dispersants from breeding eventually confirmed in the Cuyamacas. Breeding was determined to be only “possible” in the Lagunas. As you say, older reports from Palomar Mountain have not been replicated. Additionally, breeding was confirmed in only one square (D15). Your point that some reports may be of incorrectly identified Nuttall’s Woodpecker is valid.

I have hiked to the summit of Cuyamaca Peak in late spring or summer almost every year since 1988 and seen the species literally vanish after the Cedar Fire. Before the fire it was reliable along the paved road to the peak (Lookout Road) but generally above 5,500 feet.

High-elevation forest is also found on the upper slopes of Volcan Mountain (near Julian) on land privately held by the Daley family. This is north of the Volcan Mountain Wilderness Preserve operated by the County. I was able to access the northern Daley property in 1993 and again in 1995 on a San Diego Audubon field trip led by Bob Faught, whose biological consulting firm had been hired to perform wildlife surveys. We found single White-headed Woodpeckers there on these dates. The County acquired portions of the Daley property on the lower, more open, central and southern slopes of Volcan from 2009 to 2011 but to my knowledge it is unlikely that there will be additional acquisitions <http://www.volcanmt.org/>

In summers of 1991, 1992, 1995, 1996, 2002, and 2005 I have 7 records of the species gathered from 2 locations on Hot Springs Mountain during San Diego Audubon field trips. Five of these involve more than one individual and one involves a juvenile. The 2 locations are (1) along the main road about 1 mile below the summit of Hot Springs and (2) along the so-called “Dangerous Road.” The former is open black oak woodland with grassy understory. The latter is a “jeep road” of north-facing, very steep and rocky terrain (large entrenched boulders) in old-growth canyon live oak and mixed conifer 33.306134, -116.558400 (top). I believe it goes all the way down through Cougar Canyon and into Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. Due to the different vegetative character and aspect of each I recorded them as 2 locations but for simplicity in eBird will probably combine them.

One other correction: Hot Springs Mountain is the highest peak in the County but it is 6,533 feet and thus beats 6,512 Cuyamaca Peak by 21 feet.

Geoffrey Rogers

San Diego, CA