Date: 1/2/18 6:12 am
From: Nancy L Newfield <nancy...>
Subject: Re: [LABIRD-L] Frozen feeders
Paul,

I meant to respond to your helpful post yesterday, but became preoccupied
with family affairs. My feeders were OK when the sun came up, but they
froze almost immediately.

The late great Bob Sargent recommended using outdoor rated flood lamps. I
am rotating just 1 feeder.

Selasphorus are a bit more cold-hardy than Archilochus, but even Rufous are
at risk when temperatures drop below freezing and remain so for 24 to 36
hours.

Currently, I am hosting 2 Ruby-throateds that are not feeder birds. Also,
it is 39ºF in Helsinki, Finland, where my elder daughter lives. Crazy!

Nan

--
Nancy L Newfield

Join us on Facebook!