Date: 1/1/18 10:43 pm
From: PETER LOW <plbirder...>
Subject: [COBOL] Bend Area Sparrows Today
Hi All, after seeing the Harris's Sparrow this morning in Pine Nursery Park I walked the Canal west from Purcell Road looking for the White-throated Sparrow I saw on the 25th December. Sitting up on a bush was a second Harris's Sparrow, it dropped down out of sight when a jogger went by, then a Sharp-shinned Hawk made a low pass over the area. On my return after a bite to eat the White-throated Sparrow showed briefly, there may have been Two but could not confirm. The birds were very shy, spending long periods deep in brush, so lots of patience required. I did not see the Harris's again.
The birds were on the North side of Canal between Purcell and the Pipe crossing, there are several feeders along here and beyond the Pipe, the birds are using both sides of Canal. Large flocks of House Sparrow are present with smaller numbers of White and Golden-crowned Sparrows, Junco's, with 3 or more Song Sparrow. Also seen today was 10 Lesser Gold Finch and about 20 Cedar Waxwings. On December 25th 2 Merlins were hunting the area and a male intergrade Northern Flicker was present.

Peter Low.
Bend Oregon.