Date: 1/1/18 9:37 pm
From: <terrynjohn...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Highlights of Bolsa Chica Christmas Count
The Audubon Christmas Count at Bolsa Chica on Dec. 31 produced some of the following highlights in spite of the dense fog most of the morning:

287 Brant geese
959 American Wigeon
2 Greater Scaup (in the bay near Warner Ave.)
53 Redheads
2 Ridgway’s Rails
1 American Bittern
4 Reddish Egrets
1 Yellow-crowned Night-heron
4 Loggerhead Shrikes
1 Rock Wren on the Brightwater Trail
1 California Thrasher (Harriett Wieder Park in the playground area under bushes)
And many others. We struck out on the Tricolored Heron for the day, but it was seen “count week”. In addition, a Sage Thrasher was seen during “count week” in the nonpublic area.

For Bolsa Chica and Harriett Wieder Park, we had 109 species for the day, plus 18 other count week birds.

Terry Hill
Huntington Beach

Join us on Facebook!