Date: 1/1/18 9:38 pm
From: Jay Withgott <withgott...>
Subject: [obol] Tillamook new years 100-species-day highlights

Happy new year, indeed -- David Mandell and I had a thoroughly enjoyable day of birding today along the Tillamook County coast, finding 108 species in balmy weather. Highlights are below:

* WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS -- Single females at Sitka-Sedge Natural area (continuing) and at Tierra del Mar. See below.
* 12 BARN SWALLOWS flying north over the dunes at Tierra del Mar!
* WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH (continuing; rare on coast) at Tierra del Mar.
* ANCIENT MURRELET, 8 Marbled Murrelets, 12 Red-necked Grebes, & 1 White-throated Sparrow at Tierra del Mar.
* Eurasian Wigeon & Merlin at Sitka-Sedge.
* 1 LONG-TAILED DUCK and 1 CLARK'S GREBE at Netarts Bay.
* 2 SWAMP SPARROWS along Fraser Road.
* 5 WESTERN BLUEBIRDS along Gienger Road.
* 1 WHITE-TAILED KITE, 1 Eurasian Wigeon, 14 W. Meadowlarks at the airport.
* 1 Slate-colored Junco along Nielsen Road.
* 2 ROCK SANDPIPERS at Barview Jetty, along with Black Turnstones, Surfbirds, Dunlins, Sanderlings, plus a Black Oystercatcher and a Spotted Sandpiper in the channel.
* 1 continuing LONG-TAILED DUCK at Bay City Sewage Ponds.

Re: the Crossbills, we first heard a White-winged among a flock of Reds just as the trail at Sitka-Sedge reaches the water, but could not locate it. After we walked across the water, a pair of birders told us they had seen a single White-wing teed up in the trees near the beginning of the trail. We headed back and found this bird by call and then observed it teed up for several minutes, solo without Reds. I walked away to retrieve my scope and came back to the trail to find Wayne Hoffman looking through David's scope at the bird. Great timing, Wayne! A photo will be on my eBird list (of the crossbill, not of Wayne).
Then at Tierra del Mar a short ways south, we had another female with a flock of Reds in spruces just across the highway to the northeast while we watched from Austin St.

A fun start to the new year!

Oh....
First bird of the year = Canada Goose (heard in the dark at Killin Wetlands on the way, beating out Great Horned Owl by just 1.5 seconds).

Jay Withgott
Portland

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>