Date: 1/1/18 9:31 pm
From: Bill Bousman <barlowi...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] New Year's Day 2018
Folks:

This morning, 1/1/18, I was at Palm and Dougherty just after sunrise in
the lingering fog.  No Vermilion there as the clan gathered.  We passed
the magic time of 0804 hrs when it was first seen yesterday. Then it
appeared to the southeast on the top of a conifer, the VERMILION
FLYCATCHER, a first record for Santa Clara County.  We all had good
views as it worked the fences on Dougherty.  As it reached Palm, Roland
Kenner and Pat Kenny nearly ran over the poor bird as they pulled up,
stopping 10 feet away for non-binocular views.  The rest of the day was,
of course, a let-down by comparison.  At the Mountain Forebay I flushed
the AMERICAN BITTERN in a side channel near the entrance.  As I scanned
Shoreline Lake, boaters were becoming active and the Common Goldeneyes
mostly moved over to Pond A1, my count there was 73.  The male HOODED
MERGANSER was with them, but I didn't see any sign of the Barrow's.  The
REDHEADS continue there as well, my hasty tally was 330 birds.

Bill Bousman
Santa Clara County records compiler

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional