Date: 1/1/18 8:27 pm
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Tillamook Co. birds
Hi-

I made a quick trip into TillamookCo. today.

Highlight was seeing Dave Mandell and Jay Withgott at the Sitka Sedge Trail, with Dave's spotting scope already focused on a female White-winged Crossbill.  I managed a few distant photos before it flew.  She reappeared 20 minutes later for a couple minutes.  Both times perched on top of spruces near the entrance to the dike trail.  I talked to one local birder who had seen a male earlier in the morning.

I looked at a lot of white-cheeked geese in various areas (Otis, Nestucca NWR, SE of Tillamook, Nehalem Pastures) and saw at least 3 ssp of Cackling and 2 of Canada, but no other goose species.

Good numbers of Red-tails, Kestrels, and Bald Eagles, 1 Redshoulder, 2 harriers...

Oddest bird of he day was a Brown Pelican flying over the Nestucca River in Pacific City.  First one I have seen since early November.

Wayne. ,

Join us on Facebook!