Date: 1/1/18 7:49 pm
From: Donald Sweig via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Potomac River: A Few Ducks
I took a quick drive and checked a few places between Bellhaven and Riverside down by Mount Vernon today. Fewer ducks than I expected. I saw the most waterfowl from the little pullout parking area off the Parkway just north of Morningside and south of Dyke marsh. I looked quickly from the parking area with the scope: There were about 75 or 100 ducks: Canvasbacks, Redhead, Common Mergansers, lots of Hooded Mergansers, Bufflehead, Scaup, Widgeon, Mallards, about 8 or 10 Tundra swans (four were up on the ice; the rest were in the water).
About halfway down to Mount Vernon two mature bald eagles were sitting on the ice not far from the shore. Unfortunately, no place to park and get a picture.
I also took a quick drive to the end of the road at the marina at Dyke Marsh. There were two or three large rafts of ducks, but they were very far out.
Nothing special.
I should've gone to Pohick.
Donald Sweig
Falls Church, Virginia